Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Back to Belton Lake: 4/29 - 5/1/11

This trip, BB, Henri and I went back to Live Oak Ridge Park on Belton Lake.  The weather was great, but very windy on Friday.  Thank goodness it was blowing from the southeast and I was traveling northwest!  We might never had made it otherwise.

#27, Live Oak Ridge Park

I'll Protect You!
Our site for this trip (#27) didn't have a direct view of the lake, but was one of the largest and most private slots in the park and was situated at the edge of a bluff which looks down into an inlet of Belton Lake.

Henri was determined that some critter, whether a squirrel or a the dreaded Belton Lake Upper Inlet Zebra, would come charging up from the bluff at any time to get us all, so he was on "guard" a good bit of the time.  BB and I felt infinitely safer because of his semi-constant vigilance. 
Nap Time!
 
Bluff behind #27


After all this increased effort at
homeland security on Henri's part, he did feel the need for a little 'nap', however.  And nap he did.  BB helped as best she could. 

This site has some beautiful geography and views down into the an inlet of Belton Lake.  BB and I went down this way and found a place to jump into the lake.  It's not the easiest route to the water, but it works if you are persistent.  I do not recommend wearing flip flops for this type of walking.  The water is still pretty cold, though!

Geronimo!
 
Calling it a Day

This inlet seems to be a favorite with the kids as there is a great bluff on the other side that daredevils can jump off of and impress the girls!  (I wound up with a dent in my head doing that in my younger days ... but that's another story.)  Enjoyed the sounds of screams and big splashes most of Saturday. 

All in all, another great, relaxing time at a park which has become one of our favorites, just to sit, swim, or enjoy the sunsets.


Wild Zebra Watering Hole

So we loaded up Mingo II and headed back to Austin to finish our chores and get ready for work on Monday.  Unfortunately, the wind was still blowing a gale, and this time we were driving directly into the wind.  You could see my gas gauge move every time you glanced down, the transmission was kicking into "granny low" every 10 seconds, and our speed was averaging around the same as our gas mileage.  So, I simply ignored all the gauges!

The next day, after a furious internet search, we marched down and bought a new (to us) 3/4 ton pickup with a honker diesel turbocharged engine.  Now, if we can afford to put diesel in it, we should have an easier time dragging Mingo II to some new place!

Lydia's Softball Team!
Monday evening, we drove out to watch our granddaughter Lydia play softball.  It was a drizzly, cold evening, wierd weather for the beginning of May, but that's Texas.  Grant had fun playing in the rain with his raincoat on, and by the end of the game, Lydia was wet and shivering.  But she pitched great, and tagged out a runner heading for home.  Way to go Lydia!

This weekend, we will be in Bastrop State park and looking forward to going to Lydia's birthday party!  (Hey Lydia!  I know what your birthday present is, but wild Belton Lake Upper Inlet Zebras couldn't drag a hint out of me!)

The week of the 16th of May, BB, Henri and I will hitch Mingo II up to the new truck and drag it north to the Chicasaw National Recreational Area, along the Lake of the Arbuckles, near Sulphur Oklahoma.  For those of you who may not know precisely the location, it's northwest of Tishomingo, OK.   (You remember:  it was immortalized in the scene at the deserted crossroads in the great movie O Brother Where Art Thou?)

And I like the smell of my hair, the pleasin' odour's half the point.
Baptism!
You two are dumber than a bag of hammers.
You're my cross to bear.
Pull over, Everett. Let's give that coloured boy a lift.
You folks going past Tishomingo?
Sure, hop in.
How you doin', son? Name's Everett.
These two soggy sons of bitches are Pete and Delmar.
Keep your fingers away from Pete's mouth, he ain't eaten for 13 years,
'cept prison food and greasy horse.
Thanks for the lift, sir. My name's Tommy. Tommy Johnson.
How you doin', Tommy?
Say, I haven't seen a house out here for miles.
Why are you out in the middle of nowhere?
I had to be at that crossroads last midnight.
Sell my soul to the devil.
Ain't it a small world, spiritually speakin'?
Pete and Delmar just been saved. I'm the only one still unaffiliated.
It's no laughin' matter.
What'd the devil give you for it?
Well, he taught me to play this here guitar real good.
Oh, son, for that you traded your everlasting soul?
Well, I wasn't usin' it.
I've always wondered, what's the devil look like?
Well, there are all manner of lesser imps and demons,
but Satan hisself is red and scaly with a bifurcated tail,
- and he carries a hayfork. - Oh, no. No, sir.
He's white. As white as you folks.
With empty eyes and a big, hollow voice.
He travelled around with a mean old hound, that's right.
He told you to go to Tishomingo?
Well, no, sir. Why, that was my idea.
I heard there's a man there,
pays folks money to sing into his can.
They say he pays extra if'n you play real good.
Tishomingo, huh?

If we see a white fella with a mean old hound, I AINT STOPPIN', even though I probably could use some new licks on the guitar!
 
Ill be working with the Oklahoma DOT folks in Duncan, Ada and Antlers, OK.  We're looking forward to the trip because, as you know . . .  we're turbocharged now! 
Till next time.  


No comments:

Post a Comment