Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Come on over. We'll have a cup of coffee, and a game of SKIP JACK!

At home, growing up in Camp Wood, Mom and Dad always had the coffee pot on, and friends and relatives dropped by often to have a cup, set on the porch, puff on cigarettes, discuss the local events, and marvel at the strange things that happened in far off places, like Uvalde and Rocksprings, or even way off down to old Hondo. 


Folks visited a lot back in those days.  I wish we still did the same today, but we seem to have let that fine tradition slip a little.  If you ask me, houses should ALWAYS have a porch, just for that reason. Front or back; makes no difference to me. 

Anyway, after my brother Norvell and I had both gone off to college, and Mom and Dad were faced with that initial "empty nest" syndrome, Mom drug out a marble board game that either Norvell or I had gotten as a Christmas present.  Like many kids with new toys, we played the game a few times, then it went into the windowseat toybox, forgotten.  That fateful evening, Mom talked Si into setting down and trying the game, just for something to do. 

The Fun Game For the Century
(I think they were talking about
the 20th Century)
The game was called "Texas Skip Jack."  I can imagine Si and Vena at the dining room table, with the old flannel blanket spread out and safety-pinned around the table legs, cups of coffee and ash treys handy and maybe even a plate of Mom's sugar cookies, partially obscured by the Camel cigarette smoke, as they sat across from each other, rolling the dice, hopping their marbles, and trying to get all their marbles into home first. 

It wasn't long before either Aunt Reba and Uncle Ken, or Aunt Leona and Uncle Otto came to visit and have coffee, and found Mom and Dad at the Skip Jack table playing, and made the fatal mistake of asking "what are ya'll playing?"

Soon, they were drawn into the game as surely as the most addictive drug.  Skip Jack games became a regular event in the Northcutt home in the evenings as teams tried to hop their marbles around the board, half-sitting on their chairs, rolling the dice shouting "SIIIIIXXXX, BONES" at the top of their voice, and bopping off as many of the enemy's marbles as they could in the process. 

I don't think I ever saw as many upstanding, God-fearing, church-going folks who would look you straight in the eye and call you the most foul name imaginable, especially after you had knocked off one of their marbles who was just about to get into home base.  (Sondra, you know who I'm talking about, and it ain't me!)

The Skip Jack board rarely left the dining room, and it was always handily stored beneath the fancy silverware box that Aunt Paulene had given us.  If  Mom and Dad went visiting, the board went with them, along with the plastic margarine tub full of special marbles and special, lucky dice.  Everyone had their own lucky dice, and woe to anyone who reached into the margine tub and got the wrong one!  As I recall, Aunt Leona and Aunt Reba both had their own special lucky dice that they carried with them in their purses, like a pool hustler carrying their own pearl-inlayed cue in a fancy leather case.  Don't touch my dice!, they would say, but we were always trying to rub some cooties onto their dice to keep them from rolling sixes.

Over the years, marbles became smaller due to the constant friction, dice got chipped and dented (but never ever discarded), and the board began to have grooves and trenches instead of holes from so many marbles being moved around the cardboard surface. 
More Like Grooves than Holes

Over the years, many folks gradually gave up smoking, but never coffee, sugar cookies, or hopping their marbles around the Skip Jack board, gleefully bopping off "evil enemas."  It got so bad, however, that Uncle Otto or Uncle Ken, I forget which, got so nervous that they scratched the blood out of their arms, and finally had to quit.  So now, with one of the uncles sitting in the living room, it was a three-person game.  Which, of course, imposed a fascinatingly whole new layer of strategy into the game.

I still have the old Skip Jack board, as beat up and grooved as ever, and if you drop by for a visit, I'll put on  a pot of coffee, make you some sugar cookies and we'll have a game.  I'll probably use the new, wood Skip Jack board I made to replace and "preserve" the old one, though. 

Be careful, though!  You might get hooked and have to start smoking unfiltered Camel cigarettes!

10 comments:

  1. I remember playing this game in the early sixties. I would like to make a board so we can play again, but I can't remember where the "safe spots" were. I think they were on the corners and inside corners, circled in red. I remember the start spot location and it was green. Will you please refresh my memory on what you rolled to get on and the other basic rules?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - I don't check the blog as often as I should. The four interior holes are the "safe" spots and were marked white. The "free roll" holes were the eight exterior corners and were marked green. The come out hole was on your side of the board, the 2nd hole from the lower left corner on each side and was marked red. You must roll a one or a six to "come out." A six automatically gives you another roll. You could not pass yourself or your partner (if playing partners). Send me more contact info and I will be glad to send you a diagram and what I remember of the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ran across your blog trying to find the official rules for SkipJack...it made me laugh so hard! My sister and I grew up playing with my grandmother and recently we dug out the board and our kids have been playing with my mother. We all have our favorite marbles and dice as well. I've been thinking of making another board. Do you have any ideas of where one can be bought? Thanks for sharing your memories and making me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone is making this game anymore. See below for another reply to someone who makes board games; perhaps Mike can make you one.

      Delete
  4. I must apologize for not replying any sooner. I really need to maintain this blog a little better. Unfortunately, I don't think a SKIP JACK board can be purchased anywhere that I'm aware of. An internet search brought nothing remotely similar being produced today. I make my own out of plywood. Glad to hear from a fellow "Skip Jack'er;" there couldn't be many of us and we must be special. Best Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also grew up with texas skip jack. we played for hours eating crackers and homemkade jelly. can you possible send me a picture so I can make my own? also I need a refresher on the rules. thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay, but I just posted another post which provides a picture of my home-made board and my memory of the rules.

      Delete
  6. Hello,

    I make game boards for folks and I had a request to make one of these games for a new friend. However nobody has pictures of the game nor instructions.

    By chance do you have more pictures of the game and or rules for the game? I read the above but I am having a hard time picturing the game.

    Best Regards,
    Mike

    wooddesigner.artfire.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay. I just added a post with a picture of my Skip Jack board and what I remember of the rules.

      Delete
  7. Look for aggravation in google.. it is like skip jack!

    ReplyDelete